Historic Preservation

The City of Roseburg is proud of its heritage and historical sites. As a Certified Local Government (CLG) Roseburg participates in the federal program managed by the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) to promote local historic preservation programs.


One valuable resource for those interested in history is the SHPO Historic Database. It catalogs all Oregon sites listed in Federal, State, and local inventories. Simply click on the link above to explore the history of your town.


Roseburg has 4 National Register Districts within its boundary:


1. Laurelwood Historic District

2. Mill-Pine Neighborhood Historic District

3. Roseburg Downtown Historic District

4. Roseburg Veterans Administration Hospital Historic District


Another important aspect of historic preservation is Roseburg's Historic Resource Review Commission. The group meets at 3:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of every month in the 3rd floor Conference Room at Roseburg City Hall. These dedicated volunteers help property owners navigate the process to preserve, beautify, and enhance Roseburg's three historic districts, and its many historically valuable buildings and sites. Click here for recent agendas 


Oregon Travel Experience’s mission is to create a great visitor experience by providing direction to destinations, connecting travelers with Oregon’s resources, and ensuring safe and convenient travel. OTE also maps Oregon's Heritage Trees and Regional Highway Markers on their website.


Roseburg Visitor and Convention Bureau at 410 SE Spruce Street is the home of OTE's first Regional Historic Marker celebrating the Southern Umpqua Valley. The Douglas County Courthouse Elm graces the front lawn of the courthouse at 1036 SE Douglas Avenue.


National Trust for Historic Preservation Seven Insurance Tips for Historic Homeowners


DC Museum Celebrates Brewing History:


Master Plan & Design Guidelines Links:


Mill Pine Master Plan & Design Guidelines

Downtown Master Plan & Design Guidelines


Roseburg Historic Downtown Blast Walking Tour


 Mill Pine Brochure Links:

1. 613 SE Mosher, Hunter House, Queen Anne Style, Built 1894 Hunter owned the planing mill in Roseburg; Gateway to the Mill Pine District
2. 948 SE Pine, Schaffer House, Queen Anne Style, Built 1904
3. 1125 SE Pine, Sutherlin House, Square Traditional Box Style, Built 1906-10
4. 1258 SE Pine, Patterson House #3, Vernacular Style, Built 1910
5. 1268 SE Pine, Patterson House #2, Queen Anne Style, Built 1905
6. 1304 SE Pine, Spaugh House, Bungalow Style, Built 1915-20; Spaugh operated his watch shop from this home
7. 1416 SE Pine, Radabaugh House, Vernacular Style, 1895
8. 1426 SE Pine, Rite House, Square Vernacular Style, Built 1895
9. 1518 SE Pine, Carmen House, Cottage with Queen Anne Style, Built 1909-12
10. 1567 SE Pine, Dent House, Queen Anne Style, Built 1894
11. 1608 SE Mill, Vernacular Style, Built 1910; House is set diagonally on a triangular lot
12. 1525 SE Mill, Newman House, Vernacular Style, Built 1890
13. 1526 SE Mill, Strader House, Queen Anne Vernacular Style, Built 1904-09

14. 1515 SE Mill, Mill Street Grocery, 2-Story Vernacular Style, Built 1912; Only commercial building on Mill Street
15. 1516 SE Mill, Bungalow Style, Built 1930
16. 1505 SE Mill, Diller House, Queen Anne Cottage Style, Built 1905
17. 1445 SE Mill, Evans House, Eastern Stick Style Queen Anne, Built 1895
18. 1413 SE Mill, Thompson House, Queen Anne Style, Built 1895
19. 1402-1404 SE Mill, Patterson House, Italianate Style, Built 1903
20. 1342 SE Mill, Fields House, Queen Anne Style, Built 1911
21. 1351 SE Mill, Aaron Rose House, Queen Anne Style, Built 1897-1900; Built by Roseburg Town Founder Aaron Rose for his son, Aaron Jr.
22. 1322-24 SE Mill, Charles Davis House #1, Queen Anne Style, Built 1893
23. 1321 SE Mill, Buchanan House, Vernacular Style, Built 1889; John Andrew Buchanan was a soldier, civic leader, attorney, judge and judge advocate. He wrote the state song: “Oregon, My Oregon.”
24. 1312 SE Mill, Brand House, Queen Anne Style, Built 1902-03
25. 1245 SE Mill, Josephson House, Vernacular Style, Built 1900-03
26. 510-20 SE Floed, Springer Apartments, 2-Story Transition Style, Built 1912
27. 1113 SE Mill, McNameer House, Vernacular Style, Built 1894-1900
28. 1104 SE Mill, Hoffman House, Bungalow Style, Built 1889
29. 1011 SE Mill, Jones House, Gothic Revival Style, Built 1896-1900
30. 945 SE Mill, Carls House, Italianate Style, Built 1903
31. 927 SE Mill, Treaves Dysinger House, Bungalow Style, Built 1910
32. 511 SE Mosher, William Dysinger House, Mission Style, Built 1916-1920

 Laurelwood Brochure Links:

Begin tour by parking in the public parking at the Douglas County Health Center, 621 W Madrone.
1.  628 W Madrone, John & Mary Chapman House, Bungalow with flat roof garage, Primary Significance, Built 1924. Local dentist Dr. Chapman had an office in the Perkins building. His cousin W.F. Chapman was one of the original investors in Laurelwood. 
2.  316 W Laurelwood, William & Virginia Fisher House, English Cottage, Primary Significance, Built 1924. Mr. Fisher owned and was President of Fisher's Department Store, related to current owner of Fisher Flowers.
3.  526 W Madrone, Charles & Elizabeth Heinline, Colonial with workshed from same era, Primary Significance, Built 1924. Mr. Heinline was Post Master for many years while Elizabeth headed the Heinline Conservatory of Music located in the Kohlagen Building.
4.  345 W Lilburn, Clarence & Leah Rand House, Bungalow, Primary Significance, Built 1926, original owners BF & Mildred Morgan, Rands were longtime residents. This home may have been extensively remodeled.
5.  374 W Lilburn, Herb & Margaret Groves House, Bungalow, Primary Significance, Built 1926, House was built for Thomas & Emma Cobb in 1926. Mr. Groves owned Standard Oil gas station. The remodeled kitchen featured in Better Homes & Garden magazine in the 1980's.
6.  434 W Madrone, Bruce & Olive Elliot House, Ranch, Built 1950, Compatible Significance, Mr. Elliot was the longtime manager of Roseburg JC Penney Store.
7.  313 W Chapman, Chuck & Uleta O'Malley House, Colonial, Built 1940, Secondary Significance. Mr. O'Malley was employed by Consolidated Freight.
8.  323 W Chapman, Dr. Lee & Florence Wells House, English Cottage with 2-car carport to the rear of the lot, Built 1923, Primary Significance. Dr. Wells was a dentist and Mrs. Wells was the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. A.J. Lilburn.
9.  343 W Chapman, Don & Katherine Young House, Cottage, Built 1924, Primary Significance. Mr. Young was employed by California-Oregon Power. The house was built as a spec house and was rented for some time after its construction.
10. 364 W Casey, Mabel Lewis House, Bungalow, Built 1925, Primary Significance. Original owners were WR & Grace Brown from 1925-1935 who owned Brown Electric. Mrs. Lewis lived here from 1935-1979 and owned and operated the Mabel Lewis Dress Shop in downtown until she was 88 years old.
11.  334 W Casey, Harold & Katherine Schmeer House, Traditional, Built 1941, Compatible Significance. Built for Gordon & Virginia Bennet. Schmeer's purchased in 1955; he was manager of the US National Bank.
12.  202 W Bowden, John William Robertson House, Ranch, Built 1950, Compatible Significance. Robertson had a dairy farm and also worked for Shell Oil Company from 1938-1968. Lovely end of street setting.
13.  222 W Riverside, Noble & Dorothy Goettle House, Colonial, Built 1941, Secondary Significance. Mr. Goettel was proprietor of Goettel's Variety Store and was an early member of the Douglas County Sheriff's Posse.
14. 240 W Riverside, Dr. Earle and Pearl Stewart House, Colonial, Built 1939, Secondary Significance. Dr. E.B. Stewart was one of Roseburg's pioneering physicians starting in 1908 and practicing for more than 50 years. He was instrumental in securing the Veteran's Hospital development; the local American Legion baseball team is named for him. The brick used on his house and garage came from the Old Soldier’s Home on Harvard which was demolished in the late 1930's.
15. 250 W Riverside, Parks "Shorty" Schneider House, Mediterranean with detached stucco double garage, Built 1922, Primary Significance. Mr. Schneider was briefly married to Madge Miller, one of the original investors in Laurelwood. He was manager of the Umpqua Trading Post.
16. 317 W Riverside, Archie & Emily Ferguson House, Bungalow with Garage, Built 1921, Primary Significance. Third home constructed in Laurelwood and still occupied by members of the Ferguson family.
17.  325 W Riverside, Joe & Viola Denn House, Bungalow with Remodeled Garage, Built 1923, Primary Significance. Originally built for Jack & Viola Saunders and sold to the Denn's in 1926. Mr. Denn was an early partner in Denn-Gerretson Company.
18.  327 W Riverside, Harrie & Lois Booth House, Mediterranean, Built 1923, Primary Significance. Originally built for Bert & Nova Bates - he was 4th owner of the News-Review and wrote a column called "Prune Pickens". Mr. Booth (bought house in 1927) was from a pioneer family and vice-president of the US National Bank. One of the first structures in the area.
19.  326 W Riverside, Dr. Joe & Elsie Boyles House, Traditional, Built 1948, Non-Historic Significance. Dr. Boyles was a practicing physician in Roseburg.
20.  346 W Riverside, Fred & Velma Hermann House, English Cottage with Catslide Roof, Built 1934, Secondary Significance. Mr. Hermann worked for Southern Pacific and when he retired he also worked with Velma in her beauty shop.
21.  347 W Riverside, Paul & Shirley Helwig House, Colonial, Built 1940, Secondary Significance. Mr. Helwig was involved in Federal Agricultural Projects and owned pear orchards in Garden Valley, Sutherlin and Winston.  The bricks for this house came from the Old Soldier’s Home which was constructed on Harvard Avenue in 1896 and demolished in the late 1930's. This house plan appeared in Better Homes & Garden magazine.
22.  357 W Riverside, Jane and Harry LeBeau House, Colonial, Built 1941, Secondary Significance. Built for Lois & Jane Fies, Jane later married Harry LeBeau and was employed at her mother’s store, Mabel Lewis Dress Shop. Reception held for Bobby Kennedy in this house in May 1968. Link to article
23.  375 W Riverside, Fred & Alice Chapman House, Mediterranean with Detached Garage, Built 1923, Primary Significance. Mr. Chapman was one of the original Laurelwood investors and was the proprietor of the Red & White Pharmacy, which was renamed Chapman's Pharmacy, later operated by his son Fred.
24.  358 W Riverside, A.J. & Maybelle Lilburn, Bungalow, Built 1922, Primary Significance. Originally constructed as a 2-family home from a sketch on paper and is one of two designed and constructed by Roseburg's longest-lived builder, Walter Singleton. Mr. Lilburn was one of the original investors in Laurelwood and operated a furniture store in Roseburg.
25.  383 W Madrone, Hans Hansen House, Traditional, Built 1938, Secondary Significance. Original owners were Stewart & Faye Cooper. Mr. Cooper operated a gas station at 200 S. Stephens.
26.  343 W Madrone, Woodley & Justine Stephenson House, Bungalow with Flat-roofed 2-car Garage, Built 1923, Primary Significance. Mr. Stephenson was owner of Woodley's Sandwich Shop.
27.  415 W Madrone, Kenneth  & Hallie Ford House, Contemporary, Built 1939, Secondary Significance. Kenneth Ford, President & Manager of Roseburg Lumber Company, moved here in 1943.
28.  422 W Riverside, Ellsworth-Morgan House, English Cottage, Built 1929, Primary Significance. Built for Chester & Leta Morgan and sold in 1938 to Harris & Helen Elsworth. Mr. Elsworth was elected Congressman for the 4th District and served until 1956.
29.  453 W Riverside, David & Effie Morgan House, English Cottage, Built 1926, Primary Significance. Mr. Morgan was proprietor of the Red & White Grocery. Residents since 1943 are Maurice & Claribel Newland.
30.  113 W Lilburn, Horace & Verle Wells House, Traditional, Built 1939, Secondary Significance. Mr. Wells was Manager of California-Oregon Power Company. Home was constructed by Harry Goodell.
31.  132 W Lilburn, Helbig House, Bungalow, Garage in same style, Built 1924, Primary Significance. Vern Helbig was original owner and worked for Southern Pacific.

 City of Roseburg Historic Blog Entries:

February 2013

December 2014