Q:  How do I obtain a fire and/or medical incident report?

A:   Incident reports are available through our administrative office at the Public Safety Center.  The address of the Public Safety Center is 700 S.E. Douglas Avenue.  There is a $5 charge for all incident reports unless you are the victim/patient listed on the incident report.  A public records request form is to be completed for all incident report requests. 

Q:  Will the Fire Department fill my swimming pool?

A:   Unfortunately, the Fire Department does not fill swimming pools or spas.  There are private water service providers that can provide this service to you.

Q:  Who should I contact to reserve one of your community rooms?

A:   You may inquire and/or reserve our community rooms by contacting the Fire Department Staff Assistant at 541-492-6727.  Please review the Community Room Use Agreement for further questions and information.

Q:  Does the Fire Department install or assist with child safety seats?

A:   The Fire Department currently does not provide this service.  You may contact Douglas County Fire District #2 at 541-673-5503 or the Oregon Department of Transportation office at 541-957-3500 for assistance.

Q:  I own a vacant structure that needs to be demolished.  Can the Fire Department use this for training?

A:  Possibly.  While the Department rarely does “burn-to-learns”, properties that are slated for  demolition often afford excellent hands on training opportunities for firefighters.

Q:  Can I call the Fire Department for a cat stuck up in a tree?

A:  The Roseburg Fire Department does not rescue cats from trees.  Generally cats will climb down when they feel it is safe to do so or they get hungry.  If you are still concerned, notify  Douglas County Animal Control.

Q:  What is the difference between a fire truck and a fire engine?

A:  While all of our apparatus have water, hose, and a pump, a “Truck” has a big ladder on top of it.  The ladder or platform is used for rescue from tall buildings or elevating water streams for large fires.

Q:  Where can I go to get training to be more prepared in the event of a disaster?

A:  You can find useful information regarding general preparedness questions at the following websites:

1. www.ready.gov – This is a FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) sponsored website with great information for families, individuals and businesses.

2. www.fema.gov – The official FEMA website, with links to resources and information to help you plan for and recover from a disaster.

3. www.redcross.org – The official website of the American Red Cross, with information on preparedness as well as other community issues.

For more information, you can contact the Roseburg Fire Department at:

       Telephone:          541-492-6770
       E-mail:                 fireprevention@cityofroseburg.org

Q:  Will you donate/sell/trade one of your patches?

A:  Unfortunately, we do not donate/sell/trade our department patches.  We are no longer allowed to trade, sell or donate patches.  We discontinued making patches available to anyone, even our own firefighters, following the 9-11-01 terrorist attacks because our US Department of Homeland Security formally requested that ALL police, fire, and medical agencies discontinue that practice. 


Q:  Who should I contact to arrange a tour of one of your stations?

A:   We offer tours of all three fire stations.  You may schedule a tour by contacting our Staff Assistant at 541-492-6727.  You can specify the fire station you would like to tour.  Most groups prefer to tour station 1 (the Public Safety Center) since it has the widest variety of apparatus and equipment.

Q:  Does the Fire Department provide public safety education presentations?  If so, who do I contact to arrange for a presentation?

A:  Our firefighters enjoy the opportunity to show off their equipment and stations.  However, they are often “out of quarters” performing business fire safety inspections, practicing firefighting and emergency medical response skills, or responding on emergencies.  We encourage you to schedule a presentation in advance by contacting our Staff Assistant at 541-492-6727.  If you are scheduling a group tour, we would appreciate at least two weeks’ notice so we can coordinate your visit with other scheduled activities. 

Q:  Where can I find a first aid or CPR class?

A:   Our Fire Department does not provide First-Aid or CPR classes.  For class information, you may contact the American Red Cross at 541-673-3255, Umpqua Community College at 541-440-4660 or Douglas County Fire District #2 at 541-673-5503.


Q:  How do I obtain a burn permit and what are the rules / regulations for outside burning?

A:  To obtain a permit, you may contact the Fire Prevention Division at 541-492-6770.  Please refer to the Roseburg Municipal Code, Section 7.04.110 for rules and regulations.

Q:  Are fire pits, like for a small campfire, legal to have in backyards within the city limits?

A: Yes. Please refer to the Roseburg Municipal Code, Section 7.04.110 for rules and regulations.

Q:  Should small propane grills or electric food smokers, which use wood chips, be allowed to be used on apartment balconies?

A: Charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet of combustible construction. Exceptions: 1. Private residences as defined in ORS 479.168(8). 2. Where buildings, balconies and decks are protected by an automatic sprinkler system.


Q:  Does the Fire Department sell or recharge fire extinguishers?

A:  No.  Please check the yellow pages for a fire extinguisher service contractor.

Q:  What can be done with an old, possibly non-working fire extinguisher?

A:  You may contact a fire extinguisher service contractor.

Q:  Where do I go to have a fire extinguisher refilled?  Can I get it refilled at a fire station?

A: You may contact a fire extinguisher service contractor.  Unfortunately, the Fire Department does not refill or service extinguishers.

Q:  How often should a fire extinguisher be replaced / serviced?

A:  Fire extinguishers shall be subjected to maintenance at intervals of not more than 1 year, at the time of hydrostatic test, or when specifically indicated by an inspection or electronic notification.


Q:  What is the difference between a photoelectric smoke alarm and an ionization smoke alarm?

A: Ionization smoke alarms are quicker at sensing flaming, fast moving fires.  Photoelectric smoke alarms are quicker at sensing smoldering fires.

Q:  Do I need a carbon monoxide detector?  If so where/how do I mount it?

A:  The 2009 Oregon Legislature adopted HB 3450, the Lofgren and Zander Memorial Act, requiring the installation of carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in specific residential applications with a carbon monoxide source. These rules took effect on July 1, 2010.  The purpose of the bill is to reduce deaths and poisonings from carbon monoxide. Fire agencies statewide are making every effort to educate Oregonians about the requirements of the bill and importance of installing carbon monoxide alarms. The Act requires properly functioning carbon monoxide alarm(s) in dwellings with a carbon monoxide source.  

The following are implementation dates of the new rules:

July 1, 2010 - New Rental Agreements: When a landlord enters into a rental agreement creating a new tenancy in a dwelling unit that contains a carbon monoxide source or that is within a structure that contains a carbon monoxide source, the landlord must ensure the dwelling unit contains one or more properly functioning carbon monoxide alarms at the time the tenant takes possession of the dwelling unit. The landlord must provide a new tenant with alarm testing instructions. If the alarm is battery operated or has a battery backup system the landlord must supply working batteries for the alarm at the beginning of the new tenancy.

April 1, 2011 - All Rental Dwelling Units: All rental dwelling units that have a carbon monoxide source or are located within a structure having a carbon monoxide source are required to have a carbon monoxide alarm.

April 1, 2011 - Upon Sale of One and Two Family Dwelling or Multifamily Housing: When a person conveys fee title or transfers possession under a land sale contract of a one and two family dwelling or multifamily housing that contains a carbon monoxide source, the dwelling or housing must have one or more properly functioning carbon monoxide alarms installed in locations that provide carbon monoxide detection for all sleeping areas.

April 1, 2011 - New Construction and/or Remodels: Carbon monoxide alarms are required in new construction or a structure that undergoes reconstruction, alteration or repair for which a building permit is required, and is identified in the structural specialty code as a residential Group R structure. 

Carbon Monoxide detectors should be mounted on each level of your home with sleeping areas, iIn each bedroom or within 15 feet outside of each sleeping area, and according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Q:  Where should I place smoke alarms in my residence?

A: Outside sleeping areas, on each level, on the ceiling at least four inches from the nearest wall or high on a wall, 4 to 12 inches from the ceiling, meet the applicable requirements of the State Building Code at the time of construction.


Q:  Where do I submit fire alarm or fire sprinkler plans for review?

A:  Contact the Douglas County Building Department at 541-440-4559.  Their offices are located on the first level of the Douglas County Justice Building.

Q:  How do I report a fire code violation?

A:  You may call the Fire Prevention Division at 541-492-6770.