Free residential leaf pickups to start
ROSEBURG, Ore. – Roseburg Public Works crews will soon begin free fall leaf collection service for homeowners.
From the week of Monday, Oct. 31, through Friday, Jan. 6, the Public Works Department will provide leaf pickup service to residents inside city limits -- and dump truck loads of free leaves may soon be available for those needing mulch.
Public Works crews follow a cyclical, systematic route to help residents with leaf disposal and to ensure leaf collection can be provided in an effective, cost-controlled program. Last year, Public Works picked up 824 cubic yards of leaves – equivalent to 82 standard dump truck loads -- at no cost to homeowners.
“This is a free program for city residents that the Public Works Department is happy to provide,” said Roseburg Design/Construction Manager Ryan Herinckx.
Weekday pickups begin in the Laurelwood Park neighborhood northwest of downtown that week, then move west to the Harvard Avenue area. From there, collections move in a clockwise direction, ending in the Mill-Pine Historic District.
Each cycle through Roseburg’s neighborhoods takes about a month, depending on quantities of leaves picked up. The route is repeated throughout the roughly two-month collection program. Residents can see pickup route updates on the Public Works Department’s leaf pickup webpage or call 541-492-6730.
Residents who opt into City collection must pile leaves neatly on the edge of their property or on the street in front of their property and away from the curb prior to pickup. Other tips for free City leaf collection:
• Make sure leaf piles are free of debris such as branches and rocks and not piled near parked cars;
• Keep street gutters, ditches, bike lanes and catch basins free of leaves;
• Public Works crews will not pick up any items except leaves that have been raked and piled up;
• Please remember, residents are responsible for any hazards they create for others by the placement of their leaves;
• Residents who pile leaves in the City’s right-of-way are responsible for keeping drainage structures clear of leaves during rainstorms until leaves can be picked up.
Want leaves delivered? The Public Works Department can deliver dump truck loads of free leaves to anyone within city limits depending on scheduling and available quantities. The minimum amount that will be delivered is about 8 cubic yards, or roughly one dump truck load. Once delivered, the leaves become the requestor’s responsibility. Leaves won’t be deposited on parking strips or on City, county or state right-of-way. Sign up to have leaves delivered or get more information by contacting the Public Works Department at email@example.com or 541-492-6730.
Posted by RoseburgAdmin